Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What’s The Matter……Chikin?

Perhaps a previous Facebook post didn’t clearly detail my issues with Chick-Fil-A.  I will rectify and clarify things as best I can…but before I explain it all I’ll start with this….

Fuck Chick-Fil-A President Dan Cathy. 

Now the calmer part of my entry….

Even as much as this Dan Cathy upsets me he is certainly entitled to his opinion.  He is against same sex marriage? That is his right.  He can feel that way and shout it from the rooftops if he wants.  The upsetting part is Cathy has in a way.  He’s been vocal about being pro-family as long as that family consists of a male and female marriage and not a same sex one.  Once again this isn’t my issue because he can say whatever he wants.  The problem is after his opinion is shared with the public he often has to do damage control and release a press statement to soften the blow and alter his stance.  If you feel a certain way and share it with people you have to hope that people will stand with you and those that don’t have that choice too.  That statement not only expresses now Cathy should act but it reflects what countless men and women have to deal with when they share with friends and family that that are gay.  It’s a tough thing to express and once someone announces they are gay they don’t have the luxury of a press release to fall back on if their feelings are not well received.  They often are ignored or shunned by people they once loved. 

I’m getting to the moral of the story before I’m even done with Cathy.  Besides the few times he has doubled back of his opionions there is the money he has donated to anti-gay marriage groups.  On the surface the groups that receive donations obliviously sound very religious but also have friendly or harmless names.  Take the Fellowship Of Christian Athletes as one of many examples I’ve found.  The group seems harmless.  Then you investigate a bit and find that they hold a yearly conference to help “free” people from homosexuality.  Then to became a Ministry Leader within that group you have a to sign an application where you have to agree to condemn gays and their lifestyle.  Another group that received donations is called Exodus International.  This group uses some of the funds they receive to provide homosexuals with therapy that will cure their gay tendencies.  Still I have to back down a bit and say that Cathy can donate his money how he pleases and these groups, sadly, can do with these funds how they please.
Thankfully there are some people and groups out there that are holding Cathy to his original word on this matter.  This is the letter from the Mayor of Boston…

chick-fil-a-letter-boston

Losing the opportunity to open a few new locations won’t hurt Chick-Fil-A but hopefully this type of exposure will.

Lastly this is the bit that sent me over the edge and had me post my Facebook status.  Recently The Jim Henson company released this statement..


561244_466037316740585_294410441_n

What is Chic-Fil-A’s reason that they no longer have Muppet toys for their kids meals?

chickfila_muppets

Since those pictures speak for themselves I’ll just move on with my final thoughts I eluded to earlier.  I’m all for someone stating what they are for and against.  Hell….I’ve lost friends because I’ve been “too honest” or blunt.  I didn’t once think about changing my opinion or how I feel to win them back.  I have to state how I feel, be true to myself and live with whatever happens.  Cathy needs to be who he is and stop being who he needs to be at that particular moment.

No comments: